RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

What is the RI "cooling of" law for a new car purchase from

Customer Question

what is the RI "cooling of" law for a new car purchase from a dealer...I just bought a car and have changed my mind
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

Unfortunately, there isn't one on new cars in Rhode Island (or any state, that I've ever come across) The 3-day right to cancel under the Rhode Island buyers remorse laws applies only to door-to-door sales, traveling shows (such as boat shows) or timeshare sales.

In your situation, unless the contract allows for cancellation within a certain period (rare with car sales, but offered here and there among some dealers) then your only other recourse would be to attempt to work something out with the dealership or take possession of the vehicle, regrettably.

I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise.

Was there anything I could clarify about my response or additional information you needed?

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!