Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Husband has had lower leg amputated. We belong to a private

Customer Question

Husband has had lower leg amputated. We belong to a private club with assigned parking. Our space is downstairs (no elevator). Employees park in handicap spots with no permits. We have lifetime handicap permit. What are our rights?
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?
Customer: Colorado. Vail Resorts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have asked manager repeatedly to reassign us a handicap space. I don't want to be a bitch but I'm getting very frustrated. From my understanding, NO ONE can park in a handicap space without a permit. The employees have made these spaces their own.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties with the club. If the club advertises for membership to the general public, it would be subject to federal discrimination laws and thus you can request for the handicap parking spot under Americans with Disabilities Act. If the club refuses to grant the accommodation, you can then file complaint with U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division.