How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6768
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a creditor that has a judgment against me from a bill

Customer Question

I have a creditor that has a judgment against me from a bill over 5 years old. I want to get this off my credit report so that I can buy a house, but do not want to pay the full amount. What is the best way to negotiate with these companies? Do I threaten bankruptcy? I believe this is the 3rd company that this bill has been handed to. The original debt was about $4,000. This new company is charging me almost $8,000. I would like to pay $1,000 to get this off my back. How do I go about doing this?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.

You can seek a settlement conditioned on removal from credit report and consider the following arguments.

1. bankruptcy since could wipe out their claim

2. financial hardship

3. seeking to have court vacate the judgment

4. demand of proof of debt and standing to collect it.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions