RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I believe my car was just repossessed but I have not been

Customer Question

I believe my car was just repossessed but I have not been able to contact my loan company for weeks. I haven't made payments because I am unable to because I can only make payments over the phone due to their system and my bankruptcy last year. What steps should I take to get it back
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: Ohio. And I'm not sure. They towed my car while I was at work on Saturday. The office doesnt open until tomorrow morning, I don't know who towed my car or where its at and have not received any notice. The police have not been notified either. The truck that towed it said ohio repo so thats why I think its been repossessed
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have no idea. Not that anyone knows about but like I said they dont open until tomorrow
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats about everything
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have time sensitive materials that I can't even reclaim because I have no idea where my car is being held. Its been two days and I can't speak to anyone until at least tomorrow if I can even get ahold of them.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't actually need a live call.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Within five business days after the repossession, the creditor usually will send you at least two “default” notices explaining why your car was repossessed and what you must do to get it back. In order to get the car back, you can be required to pay the past due amount along with the costs of the repossession (up to $25) and a deposit of up to two of your car payments. As you might imagine, that can add up to a lot of money.

If you cannot pay to get the car back, you will be notified that the car will be sold. This notice usually is sent at least 10 days before the sale and can be combined with the default notice described above. The creditor will try to sell the car and apply the money from the sale to the balance you owed on the loan and any repossession expenses. If the car’s sale price does not fully cover the money owed, you still may be sued for the balance due. This is called a "deficiency judgment." In addition to the car balance, you may also be responsible for having to pay the storage fees for the vehicle while it is waiting to be sold, and the auction fees.

Rather than waiting to hear from the lender, I would call them tomorrow and see what you owe on the vehicle so you can make arrangements to pay and get it back.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I haven't been able to contact them for weeks though. It either just rings or takes me to a voicemail. I have had no way of paying and now no way of contacting them. They've been open today for a half hour and it says I'm calling after business hours. The fees I'm going to owe to get my car out are going to be ridiculous for something I couldn't control. How can they do this?