Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My sister purchased a vehicle for my daughter. She had my

Customer Question

My sister purchased a vehicle for my daughter. She had my daughter sign a loan document with the vehicle as security. However she did not list herself as a lienholder on the title. What can she now do to 1.) add herself as a lienholder on the title. 2.) repossess the vehicle due to failure to meet the loan agreement?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Wisconsin She issued a repo notice to my daughter and repo'd the car. Now law enforcement is saying my sister needs to return the car because she is not listed on the title as a lienholder.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My sister had the car towed and rekeyed. Does she need to give my daughter the key if she has to return the car? My daughter has not paid her one cent and has defaulted on the loan agreement by failing to keep my sister informed of where the vehicle is being kept.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Was there an actual lien on the title to the vehicle showing sister or someone else as being a lienholder?

.

Or was this just a side agreement between daughter and sister that she would pay and let her know where the vehicle was?

.

.

thanks