Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I went to a big box discount store on 12/27/16. I spent over

Customer Question

I went to a big box discount store on 12/27/16. I spent over $700. The manager rang me out. I bought a box of 8 LED lights. Six were covered under a discount and the discount was given. I received a call tonight at 830 p.m. from the manager stating that they believed I had stolen the extra 2 lights and owed them $35.00. They demanded my credit card number to bill it tonight. I refused and said I will pay the next time I go to their store which is an hour away plus a $28 ferry ride. The manager was the one assisting the cashier with the transaction. When we left the store, their "cart checker" at the door, looked over my items and put a "happy face" on the receipt and told me to have a good day. I had no idea there was an issue with the purchases that day. The manager told me tonight that they even pulled the security from the day and have implied I stole the two lights.
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: It is in Vermont. I shopped there on 12/27/16 about midday and they called me in New York at about 830 p.m tonight
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: It was the cashier and manager from Costco that called me. This is not about a manufacturer.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it. I had absolutely no idea there was any issue until the call tonight. As I said, I spent over $700 that day and groceries and things for the house. This was not a large ticket item.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am very surprised that they have taken this type of approach to the issue rather than simply be pleasant about it...

.

What is your legal question I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks