Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I've been a customer for many years. I wanted a Jenny to

I've been a customer for many years. I wanted a Jenny to record more for my grandkids. Direct TV did not let me know that the upgrade would put me back into a contract.on Sept 2,2016 I called and cancelled my services with directv due that they were in notations with tv channels and we would not be able to watch sec foitbal.l
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Al have no attorney
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: They have taken 900.00 out of my account and this was for 158 bill 200 cancel fee and equipment fee. I sent the equipment back and they took 122 out of the account then 482.00 out of my account then 146.93 out of my account. 146.93 showed on my end but nobody can see it on their end.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes many times since Sept
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When you signed the installation agreement, that agreement states that you are entering into a contract with them. Unfortunately, having gone through this just several months ago, if you read the agreement with DirectTV, failure to provide a particular channel for a certain time is not grounds to terminate service as they do not guarantee their contracts with certain channels which must be renewed from time to time. When you signed the agreement for the Genie, you agreed to renew your contract.
The only real recourse you have is to call them to negotiate to refund some of the early termination fee. You cannot deal with their normal customer service people, they do not have the authority to do much other than read from the books they are given about what to tell customers. You need to insist on speaking with a customer service supervisor from their Corporate Customer Care center in the USA. They have the authority to negotiate the cancellation fee down. However, other than that, legally the agreement you signed for the Genie can be binding as a client of mine found out in court several months ago.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for helping me with this.

Thank you for your reply.