Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was looking up the situation of a car that was towed from

Customer Question

Hello; I was looking up the situation of a car that was towed from an accident by towing company that police called. When we followed up with the tow company, they said we had a 325.00 tow bill. We said the vehicle was liability only and we did not have the money to pay the tow bill and would they consider keeping the car for salvage, motor etc.. in exchange for the bill. They said they would call back. They did not call back. We tried 2-3 times to make contact again, with no return call. Then when we needed the plates to remove it from insurance they said we owed tow bill + $ 1500 storage fees. From reading your info on other related incidents. We are going to offer them the title and some $$ and that's all we can do. I was wondering what was our true obligation since we did make contact several times and did not get any answers. They also admitted they had an employee who was let go because they were not passing along information concerning vehicles that were towed in and owners calling in.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Virginia. No, we have not nor intended to contact an attorney concerning. Honestly can't afford to put any further $$ into it.
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Person driving the vehicle in question was convicted of running red light and causing the accident. No alcohol or anything like that. Just the ticket.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your true liability here would be the tow bill of $325.00 since you are offering the garage the car for scraps, etc. I am sure the garage would get more than $325.00 from the scraps.

Best wishes,