AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

How do I dispute improper credit card charges?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

You will need to telephone your credit card company and tell them that you wish to dispute a certain charge or charges. They will want to know what was the reason. You will need to tell them the reason (for example, a double charge, or a charge that you did not make, or you were overcharged). They will ask you to send in any documentation that you have that will support your dispute. Next, they will take some time in contacting the merchant to negotiate having the charge reversed. A dispute can take about 6-8 weeks, but can be longer or shorter depending on the card issuer's policies. Normally, if your reason for the dispute is valid, disputing the charge is very effective. Has this helped?