Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Medical Debt Settlement

Customer Question

Medical Debt Settlement
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Roger replied 10 days ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a lawyer in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 days ago.

The first option would be to contact the medical provider(s) and see if they will either work out a payment plan (for the full or near full amount) OR accept a lump sum settlement of the debt (which can usually be settled for 60%-75%).

Expert:  Roger replied 10 days ago.

If the creditor/s will not work out a payment arrangement with you, then being sued, garnished, etc. is probably on the horizon. If you begin receiving notices that you're being sued, etc., you may have to consider filing bankruptcy to stop the creditors advances. If bankruptcy is filed, you can rid yourself of these debts under a chapter 7, or you can repay a portion based on your income in a chapter 13 filing.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Medical bills are incurred by visitor with Visitor visa and he cannot afford to pay that amount
Expert:  Roger replied 10 days ago.

Ok. Thanks.

As stated above, the best option is to try and work out some type of payment arrangement that he can afford to pay by the month. If that doesn't work, his best option likely is bankruptcy.