Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I have a friend from Ghana that was traveling from Ghana to

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** have a friend from Ghana that was traveling from Ghana to Houston, Texas with a large amount of gold that she inherited when her father passed. She was detained in Amsterdam and her gold was seized because she had no documentation. She was allowed to return to the US without her gold to obtain some money. Customs was charging her $5,000 a day to hold the gold until she returned. But if she would pay $20,000 they would not charge the $5,000 per day, so she paid it. She was allowed to return to the US where she withdrew funds from her bank sent it to her uncle in Ghana where he hired a lawyer and paid $6,000 to draw up documentation and she paid approximately $43000.00 to declare the gold over a period of about 3 months. When she went to pick up her gold to return to the US she was told she still owed $5,000 for one day for holding the gold. She paid that amount over about two weeks, once again she went to pick up her gold to leave and was told she owed for two days instead of one day. Once again she paid still another $5,000 over a period of two weeks to free the gold. She went to leave Amsterdam this past week and now they have told her she has overstayed her visit in Amsterdam had to send her passport to the embassy to have it stamped so she can leave, now they want another $20,000 to stamp her passport. She has three weeks to pay this or she will be deported back to Ghana and she will lose the gold to the government. What is your opinion, is she being ripped off by the government of Amsterdam? P.S. She is legally in the US on a three year visa.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Is she requesting you provide the $20k? Do you believe it is possible she is lying to you?

How did you meet this person?

Have you ever met in person, or is this person known to you only through online messaging?

Have you ever sent them money in the past?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Are you online with me?