Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I recently took my jeep into local shop for a frontend

Customer Question

I recently took my jeep into local shop for a frontend alignment. I picked it up when job was complete and noticed something in way it was driving so I scheduled another appointment for them to inspect it.
The morning I dropped it off they call me 2.5 hours stating "no one likes to get this call" and proceed to inform me while driving my jeep the engine "blew".
Since then, I have been in contact with the owner (of several stores multiple locations) and he has basically jerked me around with promises of an engine at his cost (I checked 3 parts suppliers and they quoted me same price/retail)
I was given a crappy old parts car as a loaner. When I refused the owner told me he was bringing his "personal vehicle to me" which I reality turned out to be another hunk of junk.
all this time he has instructed me there is no reason to talk to an attorney or to my insurance company. They are putting a new motor on my dime that was supposed to be finished over a week ago and still haven't got it back.
I've been calm. I have been willing to compromise but now I am totally fed up. I would like an opinion on this if possible. I live in Nebraska.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If you can prove that they did something to cause the engine to blow, they have to pay to replace the engine. There are two ways to prove that: one is by their own admission, and the other is if you can get an opinion from another mechanic about what caused the engine to blow. The timing is suspicious, but in court it helps to have a bit more so you can prove that, more likely than not, this is their fault.

They have an obligation to put you in the position you'd be in if this hadn't happened, so if you wind up having to sue them, you'll also be able to get reimbursement for loss of use of the vehicle, which tends to work out to $15/day, or for rental of a vehicle similar to yours if you'd prefer to do that. If you need to pay another mechanic to inspect it, that's part of your damages. One option here is to pay them for the new engine, write "under protest" on the check, and then sue for a refund. That's sometimes the fastest way to get your car back.

Usually, your insurance company wouldn't cover a blown engine while driving, but it could be worth talking to them to see what they have to say. Everyone's policy is different. If they do cover it, chances are they'll go after the shop for causing the problem.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.