Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

Trying to find a Jimmy Jerby in the consumer protection

Customer Question

trying to find a Jimmy Jerby in the consumer protection bureau. possible scam
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: he claims to be in wash dc. my location is AZ
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: this in regaurd to a prize winning
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just trying to find out if this guy is lagitamant
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

No, this is not legitimate. It is a scam, and here's why:

Our National agency for consumer protection is the Federal Trade Commission. On a state level each state's Attorney General handles consumer protection claims. Neither has anything to do with distributing contest winnings.

The so-called Consumer Protection Bureau sounds official but it doesn't exist. it's just a name designed to fool you into paying a large sum of money to get winnings you are never going to receive because this contest is a fraud.

The Better Business Bureau warns of the Consumer protection Bureau contest scams here on their website.

Here's some information you should keep in mind the next time you learn you are a contest winner:

Scammers always want you to believe that you can be picked out of thin air and become a contest winner. You can't. You must always enter a contest to win it.

Lottery winners are paid out of the proceeds of lottery tickets. If you don't buy your ticket you can't win, and you must present a valid ticket to claim your winnings. US lottery tickets cannot be sold on line. It's against Federal law. You must buy them in person from agents at specially designated locations.

Sweepstakes winners must complete an entry form and sign up for the contest. Sweepstakes also require you to submit your half of the entry form as proof before you can claim your prize. Your half of the form with your winning number matches the information the company has on the other half which was pulled from the drawing.

Finally, when you win a real contest, the money already belongs to you. So you NEVER have to pay anything up front to receive something that's already yours.

In any legitimate contest, if there were indeed any transfer expenses, the contest would simply deduct it from your money which they already have and just give you a check for the rest. But with a scam contest, if you notify them, they will ask for money up front for taxes, insurance, courier or transfer fees, or they will give you a partial check and ask you to deposit it and use the money to pay a third party. There's no need for any of that with a real contest.

The up front fee is the #1 sign of a contest scam. If you're asked to pay for any reason at all, it's a fraud.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.