Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I took my car to a shop to have work done. When i went to

Customer Question

I took my car to a shop to have work done. When i went to pick it up I paid the shop 2,600.00. The owner brought the car to me and it had been wrecked. First the owner claimed I brought it in that way, then took responsibility. Said it was hit in his parking lot. There is damage on both sides of the car and wheels. Car was obviously driven and wrecked. With his insurance info I took it to a body shop. Car is totaled. Salvage title. Car still drivable. I am paying out of pocket to check if bent, get alignment to decide if I keep it since car was determined a total loss based just on body damage. My question is : Does repair shop owe me more than their insurance info after taking 2,600.00 and giving me my car totalled.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?
Customer: California Repair shop owned by ********************
Customer: Manufacturer of what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please clarify - what do you mean "do they owe me more than their insurance info?" As in, do they have to tell you more? Or how much you can ask in court against them? Etc.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How much can I ask in court from him.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Someone in your situation can ask:
1) The actual money of what it cost you to FIX what they broke at another mechanic
2) Money back for the payment you gave them and they did not do anything
3) Attorney/legal fees.
About 75% of times, this ends with a demand letter from your attorney to them. Perhaps this is something that you may wish to pursue and this is how most attorneys begin the case. If they ignore the demand letter, a lawsuit normally follows.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.