Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I paid my electric bill on the 13th of this month and when I

Customer Question

I paid my electric bill on the 13th of this month and when I returned home yesterday I had a phone message requesting I call them or my electric would be shut off on the 20th. I called them this morning and informed them I had paid them in full and provided details of my payment transaction. I just got another phone call from their automated phone system requesting that I hold. After 5 minutes I hung up.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Lancaster, New York which is right outside of Buffalo
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing has been filed. It has been an ongoing problem. I pay my electric bill in full in a few days up to a week of receiving it. Yet I keep getting bills from them on a weekly basis. Now the phone calls.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The customer rep whom I spoke to today told me there's a turnaround time of 10 days between the receipt and posting of payments. It doesn't seem right that they should keep sending bills and automated phone calls for bills that have payments in transit. I would like to know if there is anything I can do about it
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you paid them in full, they have no legal right to shut your power off and if they do so you can sue them for the illegal shut off and all of the damages you sustain. If you provided them the payment transaction, regardless of how long they claim it takes them to post it, they are supposed to make a note in the file to not turn off the power. However, as long as they do not shut off the power, they cannot stop their automated system this fast from sending out bills, since there is a turn around time to actually stop their system from sending out the notices and if you paid and you know you paid then there is nothing more you need to do and if they do shut off the power, then you have legal grounds to sue them.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.