Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I recently took over as poa for my mother, i was looking at

Customer Question

i recently took over as poa for my mother, i was looking at her accounts balances and noticed that this month she received an additional social security check, i immediately called her bank to see if the check had not been deposited accidentally, they confirmed the check was in her name, the only one showing on her statements was the one she receives the 3rd of each month, this new one showed the 9th, my sister in law was on her account before i took over as poa...i took over as poa (per my mother) because my mother has been becoming forgetful and barely has any, hearing, going back thru her e statements i noticed a considerable amount of bill pays to my sister in laws accounts, the bank claims that those were written on my mothers account but could be synced to my sister in laws accounts, my sister in law is also assistant vice president to the credit union my mother was doing banking with....the man i was speaking with in person with my mother and poa papers really didnt want to give me much information...i tried calling the ss office but can only get automated responses, I feel like since this is the first month my sister in law has been removed from the account that she has had mothers secondary ss check (probably from my father) rerouted to her personal accounts...she had her personal checking, her sons mortgage, her car payments, i couldnt see the amounts just the transfers the bank said they cannot see where those went, i feel they are trying to protect the bank...my father passed away in 2011 my sister in law was on that account since then i didnt know that until now that shes been on that account since 2007 but the only thing going into that account is mothers social security what do i do can i recover that money i was told since my sister in law was on the account theres nothing i can do i need some info before i confront my brother and his wife who by the way make over 200,000.000 a year....any advice will be appreciated we are in Florida
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: you mean to get the information on the transfers, i was told they cant go back to 2007
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 24 days ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I want to make sure I understand...your suspicion is that mom has been receiving two separate checks from SS for some time and that your sister has been funneling that money to her account?