Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have been sued by two collector agencies trying to collect

Customer Question

Hi. I have been sued by two collector agencies trying to collect two credit cards debts with last statement date of year 2008. I have been told that in Puerto Rico they have up to 15 years to collect that kind of debt but I have also found places and answers, like yours, that stated that for credit cards the term is 3 years. I am confused on this and I need to point it clear since I am defending by myself at the court and has to make my point clear, with reference, that the expiration time for collecting both debts has prescribed. Can you guide me on this way? Thanks.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Puerto Rico
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: No contact has been sstablished.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can provide any additional information that may be needed as per request.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Roger replied 23 days ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 23 days ago.

The statute of limitations on open accounts (Credit Card) is 3 years, but a written contract has a 15 year statute of limitations. Here's a good link you can read: http://collectionagency.info/laws/puerto-rico-debt-collection-laws/

Expert:  Roger replied 23 days ago.

Thus, if these debts are credit card accounts, the creditor should only have 3 years to collect from the date of the last payment on or charge to each account (whichever is latest).