Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I'm looking for help in responding to a debt collection

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I'm looking for help in responding to a debt collection lawsuit
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: michigan
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is the assistance you require?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am being sued by an attorney representing midland regarding past cc debt, i would like help on how to proceed
Thank you for your reply.
If you have already been sued it is a bit late to do much other than answer the suit in court. You need to file an answer to their petition, which follows the same format for the way it would look. You need to answer each numbered paragraph with "Admit" or "Deny" or "insufficient information to form a reasonable belief as to the truth of the matter asserted in this paragraph" (use the last one for anywhere they claim you owe the money or how much you owe). Then if you have any defenses after you answer every numbered paragraph, such as you paid the debt or the statute of limitations of 6 years has expired, then you raise them at that point. You then sign the complaint in front of a notary and have the notary notarize it. You make 3 copies, file the original with the court and mail a copy to the other party and keep a copy for yourself.