Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I wrote a check in the amount of $1200 for auto repair. The

Customer Question

I wrote a check in the amount of $1200 for auto repair. The check came back insufficient funds. Initially the company through their Attorney agreed that I could pay $100 per month until debt was satisfied. I made the first payment on time. I few days went past the due date for next payment and I received a letter that I was going to be sued in court. I attempted to reach out to the Attorney and explain that I had every intention to continue making payments and would not be late again, but he chose to proceed with court hearing. I was found in default and ordered to make payment. Now I just received a letter from Attorney requesting I attend a deposition. I just want to make arrangements to pay this money back. This is my first time having something like this happen. What should I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm sorry this is Texas, court is in Austin, Tx
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't understand the question. I stated I already lost the case and was ordered to pay back the money. I don't know if the Attorney filed anything other than I received this letter requesting I attend a deposition. The letter came directly from his office, not the State Attorney nor Judge.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Contact the lawyer and work out a settlement. The lawyer will not want to incur costs of a deposition nor should his client over this balance. a settlement payment plan is common and should happen initially by calling and discussing terms, and then having the lawyer send an agreement for you to review. Kindly rate the answer 5 stars.