Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I want to know can a Homeowners Association board force the

Customer Question

I want to know can a Homeowners Association board force the members of the community to used a certain security company. It is single family homes? We have managed our own security for 11 years and it is not in our by-laws. The are forcing us to and stated we have no choice. The board want to generate income for the community by getting a kick pack from the security company.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: yes, The security company which is Mellon.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was told by the President of the board they will change the by-laws in order to get that pass.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Are you asking if the HOA is permitted to terminate security employees employed by HOA and contract with an independent company to provide security for the HOA?

Please clarify.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I have an alarm system in my home for 11 years and now the board want to take over my alarm system with a company they want the community to have and we have no choice. I don't want the board in my bedroom.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I wish this option was given to me up front.

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you pay on your own for the alarm system / service or is it included in HOA dues?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We pay our own secuirty company which we have a contract with.

Thank you for your follow up.

Does your security company provides its own security response team or does it simply notify 911 in case of an active alarm?

Are you being forced to install and pay for the new "exclusive" alarm company?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The security company notify the police. we pay a fee each time the police respond. The board had nothing to do with that We are force to pay through the HOA . The president stated the board want to generated income for the HOA by getting cash for having a large contract on behalf
members of the community.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the HOA can in fact require all of the member homeowners to split the cost of an alarm company designated by the HOA, however, while the home owner would be obligate to pay their share of the HOA alarm company cost, the homeowner would not be required to use the alarm company service and still should be able to choose their own alarm company at the expense of the homeowner (in addition to the share of cost related to the HOA contracted alarm company.

I wish you the best of luck!