Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

Well, I purchased a used car from a lot that turned out to

Customer Question

Well, I purchased a used car from a lot that turned out to be a total disaster. I did purchase as is, but I was not informed of the issues the car had under the hood. I drove the car a week before the engine light came on. There was a hose that was supposed to be hooked up to antifreeze that came off and caused the car to overheat. The car has been back at the lot for a week now getting fixed even though I was told it would be done in 2 hours the day I dropped it off 1 week ago. I put a $1000 dollar deposit on car, have already made 1st car payment and am paying car ins. for the car. They are telling me they had to special order parts and are trying to charge me for these parts which I dont
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: NC, no I haven't contacted anybody yet, was just trying to gather some info. Cant really afford to pay for help I'm a single mother who is in a bind.
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: No, the car is a 2007 VW Jetta so I dont think is within any other warranties.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mechanic at the lot tried telling me today that this is something that happened after I purchased the car. There's no way, they aren't being truthful. I know there not intimidated by me because I am a little single woman with no back up. They thought they could get over on me easily and if I dont find an answer, they will.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 24 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about that. If you bought it "as is" your options are very limited. Unless you have proof that they concealed problems i.e. you asked them about certain things and they lied or tried to hide it then you could claim breach of contract.