Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was so used to juggling bills my whole life when I started

Customer Question

I was so used to juggling bills my whole life when I started paying my school loan I was too relaxed about it. Suddenly I got a letter they had defaulted my loan. I called to immediately set something up and was told I had to go through Windham Professionals. They sent me a contract to sign stating I had to pay them 7 months and what the amount would be. Then I talked to them 3 or 4 times and each time the payment I was going to be paying them was smaller and smaller and the time involved longer. In the contract it says 38.00 for 9 months, but two clauses lower it basically says I pay them until they say I stop. Should I sign this?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't know. When I tried to get hold of somebody I get an automated line or get referred to Windham Professionals. They are pressuring me to sign this contract.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't think so.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Hello:

I am a retired attorney with over 30 years of experience and I use to work in student loan collections.

Beware of this company. They are a collections agency and they are going to push you into signing an agreement which is not necessarily good for you.

Are these federally guarantted loans or private loans?

Please let me know so I can provide you a more detailed response.

Kind regards,

Gerald

I need to opt out because my availability is going to be limited. Another expert should pick this up for you.

Good luck.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience

Your Question:

Then I talked to them 3 or 4 times and each time the payment I was going to be paying them was smaller and smaller and the time involved longer. In the contract it says 38.00 for 9 months, but two clauses lower it basically says I pay them until they say I stop. Should I sign this?

Response: No, you should not. The payment plan must have payment amount and end date. You cannot have open-ended agreement. It is very deceiving to have a paragraph that states the amount that you need to pay and for how long, but another paragraph state that you have to pay them until they say it is enough. That is too vague and broad.

Best wishes,