Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a legal question. I have a 2012 Mercedes and my

Customer Question

I have a legal question. I have a 2012 Mercedes and my engine locked up. No indicator light that there was a problem and the car just stopped. The dealership states it is my fault. I had all my service at the dealership and missed the last service by 5000 miles. I had NO warning No indication that anything was wrong with the vehicle. The engine needs to be replaced for 20,000 dollars. Vehicle is 2012. What is my recourse? I took it in 2 months ago for a problem the popped up concerning an indicator light. NO mention of anything wrong with oil
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Do you have warranty on the vehicle?

Was this new car when you purchased it?

How many miles do you have on the car?

Thank you for the information:

Phillips Esq answered. He asked a few questions. My Mercedes is under warranty. I bought it Pre Owned from Mercedes dealership February 2015. It was pre owned Approv 55,000 miles are on the car.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland. I have already paid
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: The car is at the dealership. I have had ALL service thru the dealership. Isn't that the manufacture?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I have already been in conversation with Phillips Esq. I already did that.

If the car is under warranty, the warranty service will have to pay for the cost of repair. Otherwise, you can sue the company responsible for the warranty be it the dealership or the manufacturer or another third party for breach of contract to force the company to pay for the cost of the repair. The money for the repair cannot come out of your pocket.

You may also file complaint with the Better Business Bureau and your Attorney General's office if the warranty service company refuses to honor your warranty.

Goodluck with your case,