Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I had an agreement with a franchise that was going to return

Customer Question

Hello Pearl. I had an agreement with a franchise that was going to return monies to me in the amount of $12,500 when they sold the territory/area. They never follow up or update me on this. This agreement was struck back in 2007. I just looked online and saw the franchise was acquired by another industry-related company. Is my agreement still enforceable? Would the original company owe me these monies? Would the company that acquired them be responsible? Please advise - thank you.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Florida
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't believe so.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 26 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a written contract with this deal in the contract and the term of that contract has not expired (the contract had no expiration date) then you had an enforceable contract, BUT you had 5 years from the date they breached the contract to file suit under the FL statute of limitations and if you missed that 5 year statute of limitations then any suit is barred.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.