Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I have aaa they jumped my car backwards and destroyed all

Customer Question

hello i have aaa they jumped my car backwards and destroyed all electrical parts on my car it cost me 2600 dollars to fix id like to take the station to small claims court i need a lawyer to represent me for free can u help me thank you
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And can you tell me what's been officially filed?
Customer: im in new york queens i havent filed anything yet
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can they represent me help me
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
IF they improperly jumped your car and caused damages they are liable for those damages. You do not need a lawyer to do this if your damages were only $2600, because this is a small claims case and attorney's fees for this type of case could add up to more than you are owed. Each party in a lawsuit is liable for their own attorney's fees and costs so you do not want to pay out those funds to an attorney when it is something you can sue for yourself with no attorney.
There are no free attorneys for handling small claims cases (contrary to what so many people seem to think it seems). Small claims court is for people to sue without attorneys and you can only sue for the actual damages they caused you, which is the $2600, plus your court filing fees and subpoena fees.
Before you sue, you need to send a demand letter to the gas station who caused the damage and demand they pay. If they pay, no need to sue, if they refuse to pay, you go to the local court clerk's office and ask for the small claims forms to fill out and you can sue on your own without any attorney or attorney's fees involved.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.