Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I have an EIN attached to Gen partnership plan to convert to

Customer Question

I have an EIN attached to Gen partnership plan to convert to a LLC I was told how to complete that process. Not much has been done the 2yrs other than getting an EIN. At 22 I have no assetts. I want to involve my mom who has assets the concern is she receives SSDI she's not capable of substantial work how ever I supported her an my sister while waiting on her decision,how can I attach mom to the business without violating terms of SSDI if I use some of her back pay to setup a tiny store front which could also just be an advertising location, office, or pick up for online deliveries.
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 30 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, if you are converting from a partnership or sole proprietor to an LLC or corporation, you need a brand new EIN. The IRS says you have to file for a new EIN in the name of the LLC. If you do nothing more with the partnership, your EIN for that will become inactive. But you need to get a new EIN for the LLC.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
22 I have no assetts. I want to involve my mom in the business who has assets the concern is she receives SSDI she's not capable ofsubstantial work how ever I supported her an my sister while waiting on her decision,how can I attach mom to the business without violating terms of SSDI if I use some of her back pay to setup a tiny store front which could also just be an advertising location, office, or pick up for online deliveries.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 26 days ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You cannot put her name on the business or it can impact her SSDI benefits. Your mom cannot work and receive SSDI. If she wants to help you off the record, then you can do so, but you cannot let her get caught working or they can stop her SSDI payments.