David Stewart
David Stewart, Lawyer
Experience:  Highly experienced Consumer Protection attorney
95745447

Have a case with a shipping company they are holding my

Customer Question

Have a case with a shipping company they are holding my goods cos they want me pay extra $3000 for demurrage
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  David Stewart replied 1 month ago.
Hello: do you have a contract with the shipping company that speaks to extra charges associated with the shipment. Please check the terms and conditions to determine if they have the right to do this. If you dont see anything tell them to give you a written explanation for holding your goids. Tell them to release them immediately and send you and invoice. You will then dispute the invoice. If they will not release the goods go to the small claims court and file a claim. They have no business interfering with your business for a charge you are not responsible for if that is the case based on your review if the paperwork. You will want to demand the release of your goods and ask for damages to your business from their unlawful conduct.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't have any contract with the company I actually used a third party agent ; who has the container to load my cars and other goods inside. The shipping company claimed my car title was not presented on time so the USA customs had to offload the container to confirm the car number with that on the car title
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I contact a lawyer cos can't lay these charges. I think it's the fault of the shipping company cos it's my first time shipping cars overseas so they were supposed to update me of custom terms and laws. Or what do you think??

I think it should be the shipping agent that should pay and if not the agent the shipping company. You hired these people to ship your giids and part of the agent's job is to ensure all the paperwork is complete and in place. There is no excuse in my opinion on there part. They have no business holding your goods for their mistake. If they are in the shipping business they have a duty to take care of what you hired them to do. I would tell them to release your goods immediately and if they wont, yes you should hire a lawyer and get them to take responsibility for his.

Hello: I had not heard back from you and wanted to make sure you had your questions answered on this matter. If so, please rate the question so I can get credit on the site. Also, I am going to offer a phone call to you if you would like to discuss your matter in more detail. All the best, David