Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I placed an order fopr a custom shower door on a Friday

Customer Question

I placed an order fopr a custom shower door on a Friday afternoon, told me it would take two weeks. Changed my mind, called and left a msg to cancel after work the following monday. They are closed all weekend. They did not call me back so I put a stop payment on the check. They called me Wednesday morning and told me I owed $350.00 plus bank fees for what their bank charged them and sales tax if I wanted the glass, I then spoke to the manager who kept raising the price of what I owed. I sent them the check for the original amount they said I owed, now they have sent me an invoice for the cost of the whole door. What do I do? Do they have a legal leg to stand on?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: In Utah. If I were a man they would not do this.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not that I know of. He threatened to take me to small claims court if I did not pay the ever changing amount. First it was $350, then bank costs, then sales tax , which is the tax in Murray Utah and the amount he was charging me was inflated, and I kept trying to tell him, he was miscalculating.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not hink so, except they sent me an invoice today showing my payment and a balance due fir the total amount of over $1000.00. On the phone they told me all they did was cut the glass,nothing else.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You have just been bullied into paying for something that you did not have to pay.

If you placed the order on Friday and they are closed all weekend and you called on Monday to call and cancel, the company did not lose anything by you cancelling because they have not done anything to place the custom order. So, you did not have to send them the replacement check. Now, that you did, you would have to file lawsuit against the company in order to get your money back.

You should not send them any more money. Let them file lawsuit against you if they want to. You can defend by showing that you changed your mind about the purchase and immediately called them the next business day and cancelled purchase. You should also countersue for the $350.00 that you have already paid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They said they cut the glass and I owed them for the glass and labor,hence the $350.00
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also due to my placing the stop payment I owe them for bank charges

You do not owe them anything. The work was supposed to take two weeks to complete. How did they manage to cut the glass on the first business day after the contract was signed on Friday. Their claim is not credible. I will not pay it if I were you.