Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

How does a monetary judgment last at the county courthouse,

Customer Question

How long does a monetary judgment last at the county courthouse, once it is filed? I've seen blogs where it says 5 years on property, unless it is re-certified for an additional 5 years. Is that the case, or are judgments against someone personally, last longer? Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
The 5 yr period is only applicable to liens against real property. For judgments, in general, the statute of limitations is 20 yrs.
In short, judgment creditors must file a writ of revival every five years to preserve their lien on real property. See, 42 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 4303, 8141. They may do that indefinitely. Shearer, 747 A.2d 859. But they only have 20 years to execute on real property, until that right is lost forever. 42 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 5529.After the twenty year period, there is a rebuttable presumption that a judgment has been paid. Rosenbaum v. Newhoff, 152 A.2d (Pa. 1959). However, the presumption vanishes at the introduction of any evidence sufficient to support a finding to the contrary (including an acknowledgement of the debt).
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!