Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

A Contractor has just sent me a notice that he intends to

Customer Question

a Contractor has just sent me a notice that he intends to file a lien on my property. However, I sold that property and the sale was recorded yesterday. Do the new owners (my parents) have to worry about this?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? It's hard to know for sure. The lawyer will figure it out.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: This is a "notice of intent to file lien within ten days of this notice"
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is an insurance thing, and the contractor caused us more problems than the fire they were supposed to have cleaned up after did. Other than that? nope.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

However, I sold that property and the sale was recorded yesterday. Do the new owners (my parents) have to worry about this?

.

No, if he didn't file the lien on the property while you were the legal owner, then he is out of luck and if he filed a lien, it would be an improper lien and be considered "slander on title" and he could be sued for the cost to have the lien dissolved.

.

So I would suggest sending him a certified letter showing you are not the legal owner any longer and should he file a lien he will be sued for slander on title for punitive damages as well as the costs to dissolve any lien.

.

His only recourse is to sue you personally for any alleged debt in court.

.

.

thanks