Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Second opinion] - I gave a friend a car as a gift, the

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I gave a friend a car as a gift, the friend did not have the money to transfer title so I cancelled my insurance and took the tag off and disabled the car until the friend had enough money to pay for tags and insurance, this weekend he put my tag on the car and got into an accident, now I have a letter from Farah and Farah what can I do?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: ok
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the friend apparently left the scene of the accident and was charged with leaving the scene, there were two witness that said the other person was at fault and from the damage description it appears the other person was at fault
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I believe that's all
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
November 1, 2016
Farah&Farah
Adam W. Haberie
10 West Adams Street
Jacksonville, Florida 32202
File Number: 2016J05819
Dear Mr. Haberie:
I am in receipt of your letter dated October 26, 2016 in reference to your client Arielle Rose Stewart in which you state I was negligently involved in a vehicle accident however; I was not involved in any such accident.
Upon further investigation I have discovered you may be referencing an accident involving your client and Mr. George Setzler on October 21, 2016.
Mr. Setzler was gifted the Ram conversion van approximately August, 2016, at that time the vehicle was disabled, insurance was cancelled and the tag was removed rendering the vehicle inoperable.
I have since learned from conversation with Mr. Setzler, he willingly chose to drive the vehicle on October 21,2016 without my knowledge or consent.
Upon further investigation, I also understand that your client was at fault for the accident. Additionally, there were two witnesses in the vehicle with Mr. Setzler at the time of the accident that will attest that your client indeed caused the collision to the right side of the vehicle that Mr. Setzler was driving while making a left turn resulting in damage to the front end of your clients vehicle. Below you will find the contact information for Mr. Setzler.
George William Setzler
230 Whispering Wood Lane
St. Augustine, Florida 32084(###) ###-####Sincerely
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is my reply to the letter we received today
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 3 months ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK
You were not the driver and should so advise the other side. You should also advise your friend who should cover all expenses that may apply to you as owner. If needed you may need to demand friend pay and sue friend for contribution if friend refuses to do so.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The letter from the Farah and Farah appears they are seeking to come after me for damages
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is my potential exposure
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is my best option to report the tag stolen
That is a serious option that could lead to friend being arrested. Resort if accurate and friend won't cover any compensation for other driver. Kindly rate me five stars.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My concern is to make sure my assets are not exposed, he did take the tag and use it without our knowledge
Press him to indemnify and cover all expenses in writing. Otherwise you reserve right to pursue all options. He put you in that position and do what is right.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If he indemnify and covers all expenses in writing and I send it to the other persons attorney will that safe guard me and would I still report the tag stolen?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you suggest language that I could use in the letter ?
If he agrees to pay then get him to pay and settle. Period. Its a conversation to have and then confirm that he will pay any and all monies owing relating to the accident. That's all.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He will agree, would if be best to get in writing and send to Farah and Farah that represents the person involved

Get in writing from him, and then try to mediate a settlement which he would pay and get a release from the claimant.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

thank you in advance.