Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

What do I do, I've been scammed! He is a pipeline engineer

Customer Question

What do I do, I've been scammed! He is a pipeline engineer in Bahrain. He got paid for job but had to get certificate for cleanup and didn't have money for cleanup. Sent me copies of contract, bank account with pin # and account ID to get in account. Sent promissory note that he would pay me back. Now he can't leave because airline is saying he used his returning flight. So he has no money to buy a new ticket to get home.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has $2,100,000.00 Offshore account from job, shows inactive. Has to also buy insurance for documents for check.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you've been scammed.

The reason these scam artists are so successful is that they're not located where they say they are, and it would cost thousand of dollars to pay a private investigator to track them down. Even if you find them - which would be uncommon - then it costs thousands more to sue them in the courts of their home countries. A judgment written by a US court only has value if it's against someone who has assets or employment in the United States. Otherwise, there's no way to collect the money. And that unfortunately means that the best thing you can do for yourself is to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

You also want to be very cautious going forward. They've scammed you once, and now they think they'll be able to trick you out of more money. So, you'll probably find yourself targeted with more scam offers. They'll send you emails about winning contests you don't remember entering, business opportunities, and whatever else they can think of. Sometimes, they'll wait a couple of months and contact you pretending to be law enforcement. Then they'll offer to help you get back the money that was stolen - for a small, upfront fee paid via Western Union. It's part of the same scam. Be extremely cautious and do not send money to anyone who reaches out to you online unless you have contacted them first. Don't send anyone money via Western Union or wire transfer unless you've known them personally for a long time and have met them in person more than once.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that my answer? I read that online,same answer for someone else.

That IS what you can do. Experts have zero control over what information exists on the internet. The fact that someone else was told the same thing doesn't mean it's not true. In fact, what you read online simply confirms what I'm telling you.

You posted a very general statement, which tends to lead to a more general answer. If you have specific questions, I'm happy to provide more information.