Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I entered a pageant last year and the website said that the

Customer Question

Hello! I entered a pageant last year and the website said that the entry fee was $395, so I sent in $300 for a deposit. Anyway after i did that I received their program book and there were more additional mandatory fees that equaled to $375-$450 extra tjat o wasm extra that I wasn't aware of.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Orlando, Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, I went through a free agency, but they said that they couldn't make the people pay me back.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went through a free agency, but they said that they couldn't get my money back. After I found out about 3 of the extra fees I continued with the pageant because I figured that I was stuck and couldn't get out of it. Then I found out about another fee and that is when I dropped out. I asked for my money back, but they wouldn't give it to me. The director gave me a $200 discount, but I still couldn't afford it because I wasn't finished with my pageant wardrobe and plus I didn't trust them. A few weeks after I dropped out of the pageant I went to a library seminar, for lawyers, and they told me how to file a claim. At the time I couldn't afford it. Then a few months later I went to another library seminar where they told me that I could seek free help, so I did. The agency that I got in contact with said at first they would help me to get my money back, but then said that they couldn't do it because they had messages saying that I was okay with the extra fees. They did not have the messages, to the director, asking for my money back or that I never would have done the pageant if I would have known about how much it really costs. I still have all of that proof. The agency didn't have that.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, if they misrepresented the fees and costs of the event to you, then you do not need an attorney, you need to go to small claims court in the county where the pageant is located and sue them for the refund for misrepresenting their fees. You do not need an attorney in small claims court and you need to present your evidence that the additional fees were not disclosed up front and thus were a deceptive.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is advice that I have already received. I thought that there was something more that I could do to get my money back. I'd like my money back because I already knew this advice.
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, nobody here knows what customers already knew because the customer fails to tell us. The other thing is that the laws are the laws, we do not make up ways to handle situations outside of the law. So people coming here thinking that there are ways to circumvent the law can be disappointed.

We wish you the best.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks anyway! I appreciate your time.
Sorry to have wasted your time and mine. Good luck to you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You just reinforced my thought that I do actually have a case and I thank you for that. If a lawyer can see that, so should a judge.