TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My chiropractor never billed my insurance company and now

Customer Question

My chiropractor never billed my insurance company and now he's billing me 8000.00
Can he do this? What can I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also I was in a car accident and I believe he was waiting for the insurance money.
It's been two years and I decided not to sue. I live in a small town and this chiropractor knows my lawyer and I'm sure knows I dropped my case. Now I got this bill Friday for 8000.00
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Even though health care providers generally bill insurance companies for the patient, so that the patient doesn't have to deal with being the middle man, it is ultimately the patient's legal responsibility to make sure that any outstanding bills are paid. Moreover, there is no legal obligation for the health care provider to bill the insurance company directly (absent a clause in your contract that states that the health care provider will do that). Accordingly, just based on the facts that you shared, it does sound like the chiropractor has not done anything wrong. If I were you, I would submit the bill to the insurance company yourself. The insurance company should be willing to pay the bill now provided it was covered at the time that you were insured.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello
Even though I was in a car accident and he was waiting for a pay off from the insurance company? He never told me this. Now That this is not a lawsuit I get this bill.
Susan
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again.

The fact that there is no lawsuit from the car accident does not change my answer. The chiropractor is owed money for his services, and your insurance company is required to pay various medical bills for the period that you were covered.

Accordingly, I would submit the bills to the insurance company.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need further clarification, and please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)