Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

We live in Charlotte Nc and I was wondering about some

Customer Question

We live in Charlotte Nc and I was wondering about some questions I have about a incorrect building permit.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Our contractor we hired has placed the incorrect amount of contract on two separate permits for far less than what the actual scope of work is to be. They also were hired under a different name than the one on the contract. They must have more than one business. A lot of other corrupt things are going on and a lot of lies and confusion. Is it legal to misrepresent the scope and amount of job on a residential building permit in Charlotte NC?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, it is deemed falsifying public records to file false information on building permits. Furthermore, it could be ultimately deemed tax evasion, which is usually the reason they list less on the permit so they can claim less on taxes later. As far as using multiple businesses, that is permissible, especially since many of these contractors have an LLC or S Corporation and also a D/B/A, which is the name they commonly go under in business to the public, so that is not generally that odd.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.