Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

Names Craig. I buy cheaper cars to scrap to make money. I

Customer Question

Names Craig. I buy cheaper cars to scrap to make money. I also own a tow and recovery business. I bought a car from a guy for 60.00 He said he bought it from his friend. So I took the car and paid him 60.00 for it. That same night I pulled a ton of parts off it and removed the gas tank to get it ready to go to the scrap yard. The motor was shot so it was junk anyways. Now I was about to haul it in and found out he told the original owner Terrance that he would pay him 350.00 for the car Terrance agreed that was ok and sold the car to David the scammer. So ***** *****ed and scammed me and behind my back he told terrance that I was going to pay him 350.00 which i had no knowledge of. The david guy was just charged with a few charges for this here today. So now I'm out 60.00 but have the car and Terrance the original owner has the title. SO what can I do with the car? I'm at a big loss right now because I towed the car to my place and spend a bunch of time on it. Terrance still have the title and is giving me the "your not to junk out my car deal" He already knows its most all torn apart. The cops said I didn't do anything wrong by tearing it apart becuase at the time I did I was under the assumption that I bought a legitimate vehicle. So can I scrap the car because that david still owes him 350.00 and its between them now? I did tell terrance that if he paid the tow bill which is me hauling it out of there and to my business which was 110.00 and if he paid me storage for the 19 days that I have had it with was around 890.00 he could come get the car. He said hes not paying s*$& so you know where I'm at. What can I do with the car legally if he still holds the title.? The middle guy david ripped me off and him too.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I hope to ease your mind. First you do not have liability for the actions of David. Any loss that Terrance suffers is between David and Terrance. If Terrance tries to sue you you will file a Mtion to Dismiss for Failure to Include a Necessary Party (David).

As to the vehicle send Terrance (by certified mail) a Bill for towing and Storage. On the Bill state that if he does not pay it within 10 days that you will consider the car abandoned. After which you can junk the car.

You can follow these links for more information an Abandoned Vehicles:

http://towing.witruck.org/laws/abandoned-motor-vehicles/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://towing.witruck.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/08/WI-Abandoned-Vehicle-law.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjfv7zcuPzPAhXEcz4KHSJUBtsQFghCMAM&usg=AFQjCNFMyJ8XccxiQQczebbNZ2fjFUF3oA&sig2=ejIebSY50H3OyAgeIgSLXw

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.