Law Tutor, Esq
Law Tutor, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

Question about a debt collection

Customer Question

question about a debt collection
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you. It may take a few minutes because I am typing an answer.

You have indicated that the debt was from 1992 in Kansas. However, you are not sure what kind of debt this is nor do you know what it is for. Regardless, that is more that 24 years old and the statute of limitations expired long ago. You count from the time that the account was charged off or when you stopped paying (I know that you don't have this information). But chances are, if you don't remember this debt, it was from long ago and charged off some time ago. The statute of limitations in Kansas is:

Written agreement, contract or promise: 5 years.

Expressed or implied but not written contracts, obligations or liabilities: 3 years.

You may want to write a letter to the creditor/collection agency and let them know that you are not aware of this debt and even if you were they are violating the statute of limitations by trying to collect. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required but is always appreciated.