insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
17027240

My dog goes to Dog day care twice a week for about 6 months

Customer Question

My dog goes to Dog day care twice a week for about 6 months now, they always praise her good behavior, no bad reports. They called us last week and told us that out 40 lb Boxer pinned a standard poodle down and broke its leg in 4 places? There are no video tapes of the incident. The owner of the pet day care is telling us we are responsible for $4,000 of vet bills for the other dog? Does not make any sense?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 6 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Hi Kerie. Can you provide me just a bit more information? Did your dog have any history of such aggressive behavior? If so, did you provide the day care any notice of this? Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No aggressive behavior, she would come home with wounds on her neck and face recently from other dogs. We have a small 7lb yorkie at home and she has not hurt him at all. She also plays with a Huskey with no issues. She is also around children with no issues.

Thank you. You're not going to be liable here. One, your dog had no aggressive history. Two, and most importantly, your dog was in the day care's care and they are the responsible party here. It was their negligence that resulted in this injury. It's pretty rich of them to act like this is your fault, but they have no legitimate basis for this. They've been taking care of your dog for 6 months and had full knowledge of your dog's disposition; furthermore, given your dog's prior wounds, the day care probably has a history of negligent behavior. So, although you can never prevent someone from filing a claim against you, I don't see any avenue for them to prevail; and I would let them know if they do pursue something, that you not only will contest this fully, but also be filing suit against them for negligence.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!