Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

Maryland electric shut off while I was applying for federal

Customer Question

Maryland electric shut off while I was applying for federal assistance
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you give me a few more details about your situation?

.

Were you a tenant and got behind on your bills?

.

What is your legal question I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was unemployed and got behind. I applied for federal assistance. My understanding is that when applying in maryland your turn off is suspended for 55 days. My case worker at the department of energy assistance didn't notify my utility company I was applying so I was shut off. Can I hire an attorney and how do I find one?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

My case worker at the department of energy assistance didn't notify my utility company I was applying so I was shut off. Can I hire an attorney and how do I find one?

.

The MD Dept of Human Resources is the state govt agency that is in charge of the energy assistance program so unfortunately if they case worker was negligent, you can't sue the state under the legal doctrine of "sovereign immunity". You can file a formal complaint with the Dept and they can reprimand the employee, but as for suing them, no, they are exempt from being sued.

.

I don't want to see you pay an attorney several hundred or even thousand dollars to investigate this only to find out that you are not allowed to sue the state... There are some unscrupulous attorneys who would take your money and then drag this out for a while and then tell you that you are not allowed to....

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks