Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

Recently I had my pet cat at a boarding facility. During the

Customer Question

Recently I had my pet cat at a boarding facility. During the pet's stay at the facility, the cat became ill and was admitted to an emergency veterinarian hospital. They diagnosed the illness as a feline calicivirus, which is a virus that is transferred cat-to-cat. Conversations with the operator of the facility revealed that they don't have safeguards in place (i.e. cleaning food and water bowls between cats, handlers washing hands between cats) that would prevent such an infection from spreading.
We are attempting to seek full reimbursement from the facility for the cost of veterinarian fees. However, upon inspection I have found that my records for vaccination against this virus was not complete: the vaccination was done 8/26/16, but I had forgotten to bring the cat back for a follow up booster shot on 9/16/16. The facility is claiming our partial fault and is offering to reimburse in half.
I wonder if I can still hold them liable for 100% of costs, as they have also overlooked this record and allowed my pet to stay in their facility.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Does the facility require proof of the full vaccination round to take boarders?

Did they have your vaccination record when they took your cat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They did not require a "full" record in the sense that they wanted any and every medical record that exists, but they did require proof of immunization against certain things, including this virus that the pet caught, rabies, proof of neutering/spaying, etc.
And yes, these records were presented to the facility at time of pet boarding.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If the vaccination records are not required then it is irrelevant to their protocols if the cat was vaccinated or not. If they were negligent in not having such protocols in place then you are entitled to full compensation.

If they refuse you can sue them in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please review- vaccination records *are* required by the facility, and we did provide them with that documentation. However, they overlooked on the vaccination record that the pet had not gotten the required booster for the virus at time of boarding. Is this negligence?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If they had the records and still took the cat then it is their fault for not having protocols and not reviewing the records they require for boarding. Sue them in small claims court.