Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I own a salvage yard here in South Bend Indiana and sold a

Customer Question

I own a salvage yard here in South Bend Indiana and sold a front end assembly for a 2015 Chrysler 200 to a Auto Shop in Michigan for $2800. They put a stop payment on the check and are not returning my calls. What are my steps to recovering our money?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: ok
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send them a written demand certified mail return receipt telling them they have 10 days to make good on the check and if they refuse you will report them to the DA for criminal prosecution and the amount of the check makes it a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison.
Then if they refuse to make good on the check, you take proof of the letter to the DA and file a complaint and let them pursue the buyer.
Also, in addition to criminal prosecution, you can file civil suit for the money due, plus any bank fees plus up to $500 in damages.
You can do both things at the same time.