Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

My ex husband is on disabilty and has bipolar issues and has

Customer Question

My ex husband is on disabilty and has bipolar issues and has been in housing. His check was coming to the housing place and his landlord was cashing his checks for him. Now that he has left there they say they sent his check back to social secuity office. He went to two SS offices and he says he has to have a family member with him. He is confused and wants me to go with him. Being an ex, does that qualify me to go help him as not really a family member?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: TExas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Like what? He acts like they won't deal with him without a family member.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of unless can he just have his checks sent to my house which is where he use to get them.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 days ago.

YOu can go with him to help explain things and it is possible he could designate you as his representative to the SSA if you agree. I don't think the SSA requires the representative to be a family member anymore.

If you agree to be his rep then they would deposit the checks into an account for him. I don't think they send checks at all now.

Please ask any follow ups in this thread.