RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as Texas lawyer representing consumers
8534270

I left my pet cat at a boarding facility, and during the

Customer Question

I left my pet cat at a boarding facility, and during the stay my cat contracted what the veterinarian diagnosed as a feline upper respiratory infection. Quick research shows this is transmitted between cats and other cats and is common in shelters, kennels, boarding facilities, etc.. the kennel took the cat to the emergency vet and now I am faced with a ~$3000 bill. Can I hold the boarding facility liable for vet fees? In the agreement I signed, there is a clause stating that the pet owner is liable for vet fees but does not specify in which situations, i.e. Even if the injury/illness is caused by the facility.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can certainly try here.You would send demand letter threatening small claims and send them the bill.You argue they were negligent and that the contract does not waive negligence on their part.You have good argument that they should be liable.Send your demand letter with copy of bill and you sue in small claims if unresolved.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again sorry your cat had to go through this.

Small claims self help and forms for you if necessary

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm

You can sue up to $10k here in small claims.