Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I need my primary care physician to complete a metlife

Customer Question

i need my primary care physician to complete a metlife disability insurance physicians statement of disability form. I signed the release of information document which clearly asks me to check off what information I want released. There are 2 sections a) & b)-
a) I can check the box to release all info pertaining to my medical history,physical condition and treatment received OR 1)only the records or types of health info (including specific dates)
b)I specifically authorize the release of the following info:
1-mental health treatment & other pyscho therapy notes
2- HIV test results
3-Alcohol/drug treatments info
4-NONE of the above.
Pertaining to section a I marked only the records or types of info including specific dates and section b- NONE of the above
My doctor is saying he can release private and personal info relating to all the items in section b even if I marked NONE of the above. I am extremely upset over this. What can i do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your doctor CANNOT do not. Otherwise, your doctor would be in serious violation of HIPAA and he could be disciplined for the wrongful disclosure of your private information. The items in Section b) CAN ONLY be released with your specific authorization. If you did not check those items off, the Doctor has NO business releasing the information.

Send a warning letter to the doctor that pursuant to HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) that he cannot release those sensitive information without your specific consent and any release of the information inspite of your object would be deemed willful violation of HIPAA and his violation of professional responsibility. That you would file complaint against him with U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights and his State's Medical Board for professional misconduct.