Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I am the owner of Nissan GTR modified supercar. I purchased

Customer Question

I am the owner of Nissan GTR modified supercar. I purchased it in 2013 stock from dealer. I then planned and negotiated with a well known Super car builder in Austin, Texas to ship the car there and get the engine and transmission completely built and modified. I spent another 70k in extras. I received the car back and everything was great for about 2 days, when the car started stalling and bucking like a horse. I took codes from readouts and provided this information to the builder. The builder sent a tech to my warehouse where I store the car, and he examined and test drove the car. Upon completion of this inspection, the builder themselves arranged for me to take the car to an associate in Baltimore , MD for service and evaluation. And it was sent there.
It was found to be a melted exhaust y pipe, and both catalytic converters were melted completely inside, and lodged in the exhaust. The associate completed the work according to the original builder with directions from Texas. I received the car back, and everything again was great for a few trips out on the road, until the car began shutting down, and not having any pedal at all. I couldnt drive it at all.
Once again I called the original builder, and they arranged transport to the associate in Baltimore to remedy the problem.
Quite awhile went by when the original builder contacted me and stated the associate could not find anything wrong with it, but he was afraid that the problem would still exist, and they were going to check on some more things.
In june of this year i was contacted to be told the car was being transported off site from where they were originally working on it, but no update on progress or diagnoisis.
About 3 weeks after that, the associate contacted me at my work, to say the car was found to be ok, with nothing to report as wrong. But there was a total bill to be paid by me of more than 7k, including diagnostics, labor and storage. Of course i was concerned and contacted the original builder. I told them i was not allowed to pick up the car without the bill being paid.
We discussed that they would take care of the associate, since they were friends. But then the builder sort of went quiet. He asked the associate to take 1000.00 off the bill. And he texted me to tell me that was the best he thinks he can do.
I told them that they were the ones that ordered the car to go there and be checked out. The builder again has gone silent on me, and the associate calls or texts me daily requesting the bill to be paid in full or they will pursue a mechanics lein on the car.
I paid 120,000 for the car, and modified it with m,ore than 70k worth of goodies all verified. The appraisal for the car was 263,000.00. The car has 1150 hp, and 900lbs of torque at the wheels. Very unique, one of a kind build.
I feel there is something wrong with the car that the builder and associate know about, and thats where all the stalling is coming from. I need to know how to get the car back, or should I just sue the builder for the entire price of the car.?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Just to add.......nothing has been paid on the bill whatsoever. The first time the car was worked on by the associate, there was no bill to me, and the bill was take care of by the builder.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You should just sue the builder for the entire price of the car. Something is wrong with the car. If you manage to get the out and drive it, the issue would re-occur. It appears that the builder did something improper during the rebuilding of the car and that problem appears to be irreversible. You need to cut your loss and sue for the entire amount.

Since the builder is in Austin Texas, that is where to file the lawsuit. You would need to retain the services of a local Attorney who handles consumer and contract issues to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Goodluck with your case,