Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

If you are in my shoes,are you willing to lose your hard

Customer Question

if you are in my shoes,are you willing to lose your hard earned $1000 because of others fault?I am losing 1000 because the airline failed to bring me to my destination. that resulted me to missed my international flight.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, in these cases of airline schedules and delayed flights, the airlines are not liable under the contract of carriage they enter into with customers unless the delay is the fault of the airline. So if flights are delayed, all the airline is liable for is getting you to the original destination, not for missed connections, unless the reason for the delay was the actual fault of the airline. So, while I would be extremely mad about the loss of money, the law says they are liable only to get you to the destination you had booked with them on that flight that was delayed, not for you missing connections.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
they delayed their flights that night twice without any announcement and we just noticed that they kept changing the displayed schedules on the monitor. Tried to approached the employee but they don't even helped me out, they just said we can refund it if you want. Told them the situation but they are NOT being helpful.they didn't even look for option how to bring us to our destination that night.Until my minor child cannot stand it anymore because we've been at the airport for 6 hours. I wished they told us (passengers) earlier so we can get another flight from other airlines that night. If they are not liable for the damages, who is???
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, they did what they were legally obligated to do under their contract for carriage While I understand the anger and frustration as someone who is on the road flying at least 3 weekends a month, you are stuck by your contract of carriage under the laws and all you can do in this situation is call the airline corporate office and negotiate with them and most times they will refund your actual flight that was delayed or give you air miles for the compensation out of goodwill, but legally they are not obligated by law to do so. When delays occur that are not the fault of the airlines that is all you can do.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If in that situation they are not liable because you said they are going to be if it is their fault right? then who's fault is that???
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Not everything that happens can be blamed on the "fault of someone else." Sometimes things just happen, weather happens, planes being late getting in because of traffic happen, it is not anyone's fault and people do not have a legal action against another party for everything that happens in life I am sorry to say.