Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Bought a car from a car lot..approx. one year ago..wanted to

Customer Question

bought a car from a car lot..approx. one year ago..wanted to trade it in on a different car..one with better gas mileage..went to reputable car dealership, and was told..they can't take the trade in, because the car was in a car wreck and totalled..I was never told that when I bought the car..what can I do about this?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Washington, state
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not that I'm aware of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Does the title indicate that it was totaled/rebuilt?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No.. no car fax. No honesty at all and nobody said a word about it being totaled we had to find out the hard way.. another car dealership told us
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I accidentally touched the call me button.. then went back to typing.. are we still connected?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is the answer to my question?..it's been hours..y'all took my money and STILL..I haven't heard a word from you guys..either help me out or give me my money back
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again.

I apologize for the wait. I've dealt with nothing but internet problems since I last posted. I will open this question to all attorneys so that you get a quicker response. Again, I apologize.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

A different Professional here.

I am sorry that you have not received a response to your question. I am just seeing it now and preparing my response, but just wanted to let you know that I am now working on your case.

Thank you for your patience.

You have a case against the car lot that sold you the rebuilt car without disclosing that information to you. What the car lot did was unfair and deceptive. You can ask the car lot to take the car back and refund your purchase price. Otherwise, you would file lawsuit against them.

It would be prudent however to retain the services of a local consumer Attorney to send a demand letter to the dealership (the car lot) and if necessary file lawsuit against the dealership for this unfair and deceptive act and practice. Most consumer Attorneys would take a case on contingent fee basis. This means that the Attorneys may not charge upfront for their fees and would only get paid if they win the cases for the consumers. Even then most Courts award Attorney fees to prevailing consumers. So, you may not have to pay out of pocket to obtain a consumer Attorney to sue the dealership for unfair and deceptive act and practice to force the dealership to take back the car and refund your money.

You can use the following sites to find local consumer Attorneys:

Consumeradvocates.org

justia.com

lawyers.com

findlaw.com

You may also file complaint with your Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau.

Goodluck with your case,