Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I have a private student loan with navient, which I've paid

Customer Question

I have a private student loan with navient, which I've paid $28,000 over the past ten years, with 24 months in forbearance over the ten year period and the loan balance is more than what it was initially. Navient claims that I've only paid interest on the loan.
Navient does not have an ongoing amortization schedule available for their customers to see payment loan balance in order to verify this claim.
what are me legal rights?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You have a right to view a statement of account showing full application of payments, and interest charges. If they dont have it available, which is unbelievable, they need to produce it and show how they have reached at the balance. If they refuse, you can threaten to go on the offensive which should prompt their immediate cooperation. I will explain how in a minute.

You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars. bomus