TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I paid in full my balance on my car with the credit union

I paid in full my balance on my car with the credit union but now they told me they would not release the car title until pay off my over drawn checking account can they done that

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

While I haven't seen your paperwork, the answer is likely yes. Credit Union loan agreements almost always have a cross-collateralization clause. Simply put, it means that the collateral for one account or loan (such as your car), also becomes collateral for any other loan or account with the Credit Union. In other words, if you were to refuse to pay the balance due on the overdrawn account, then they can repossess the car just as if you hadn't paid the car loan itself. Accordingly, they would not need to give you the title while the checking account is overdrawn.

I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Also, despite the bad news, I would certainly appreciate it if you remember to provide a positive rating via the stars, as it is the only way that I'll get credit for answering your question(s). Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your answer

You are quite welcome. Thank you for using this service, and please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.