Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

If a business makes a copy of a credit card and starts

Customer Question

If a business makes a copy of a credit card and starts removing funds from that credit card without permission from the owner of the card. Is it credit card fraud and can a business be charged ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

In general a business can't be charged with a crime. You could sue the business for the unlawful taking of your funds. Or if there's some employee in a business that is using his job as a means to commit identity theft, without the company's knowledge, that person can be prosecuted for his fraud.

Typically, however, you'd see the unauthorized charges on your card, report the crime to your police, report the unauthorized use of your credit card number to the card carrier, cancel your card and open up a new one. The card carrier would go after the thief for reimbursement.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.